According to a study done by Jackson State University

Mr. Matriculation

I feel this is the direction all HBCU's should be heading toward. Maybe there are some HBCU's engaged in this and I just haven't been made aware of it. I often see on the national news, Wall Street Journal, and many other media outlets news about a study some PWC has completed. That news adds a great deal of credibility to that school and seperates the school from the rest of pack in standards of academic excellence. I commend JSU and any other HBCU that is striving toward nationally recognized research.

July 16, 2001

Increase in grant funds helping JSU make strides in research

At least 168 projects to gain from $38.6 million
By Elizabeth Yoste
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Crysenthia Crockett, a senior biology major, is benefiting from Jackson State University's 19 percent increase in research funding.

The $38.6 million received last year will be spread out over 168 programs that include scientific research, education and service projects. Many of the projects that benefit from the increased funding are new, including Crockett's.

Through a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Sea Grant that JSU received, Crockett is earning a little extra money while gaining some laboratory experience.

Working with Paulinus Chigbu and Ernest Izevbigie, assistant professors of biology, Crockett is attempting to discover if a certain chemical fed to Atlantic Croaker, a species of fish, will result in faster growth and better production.

"I'm working on one project all by myself, now," Crockett said. "(Chigbu) is helping me, but I'm getting to do the experimental part."

Crockett said that she's discovering first-hand that JSU is an expanding research university.

Felix Okojie, vice president for Research Development, Support and Federal Relations, said the money is especially needed with the recent state budget cuts.

"We have a little bit more money to support faculty and staff engaged in research," Okojie said.

With funds increasing every year for research, Okojie said JSU is establishing itself as a research intensive university according to the Carnegie Foundation.

"It's basically putting us in the forefront of research," Okojie said. "JSU is definitely moving forward to be a major player in the research arena."

Another source of money JSU competitively applied for is from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. JSU's School of Business received $250,000 for its service project to improve and provide housing in west Jackson, an ongoing project for several years.

The Homeowners Opportunity Program, HOOP, improves the quality of housing in areas near JSU's campus.

"This is one of many programs that is academia or community service-based that the university receives funding for," said Carolyn Nelson, director.

The program uses HUD money to buy vacant, boarded-up houses, reconstructs them and makes them available to low and moderate income families.

Nelson said that although JSU is benefiting from the program and funding, so does the community and the city of Jackson.

That can be said for many of the projects at JSU that are funded through the university.

Okojie said the increase in research money will make JSU a source of research that will "help to move Mississippi forward in education and technology development."

Send this article to a friend

Back