2005 Football: Prairie View vs Univ. of Houston?

C-LeB28

UH-Prairie View would benefit both
By MICHAEL MURPHY
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

It's been a lively rumor on campus. It's been hotly bandied about on message boards, and it's even been reported in the media.

But the proposed game between Houston and Prairie View, which is supposed to take place next season, still is not a done deal. Discussions are ongoingbut nothing's been signed, so there is a chance it could get shelved.

From the perspective of Houston athletic director Dave Maggard, the idea is pretty simple -- it's a game that would help draw attention to football in the city, and it certainly helps that it's a winnable game for the Coogs.

For the Panthers, it would be a nice payday, and it's a chance for the "little guy" -- the Division I-AA Panthers -- to knock off a Division I-A school.

NCAA rules governing outside competition stipulate that every four years a Division I-A team could count one victory against a Division I-AA opponent towards the six-win minimum for bowl eligibility. But that's only provided the Division I-AA team has averaged 60 financial aid equivalencies in football during the three preceding academic years.

According to the Prairie View sports information director's office, the Panthers awarded 63 scholarships the past two years, but only 15 in 2002-03, which would exclude them from the exempt classification.

End of story. No game.

But wait!

To read the entire story go here... http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2893453

Got dang Cleb! :mad: We gone make you an honorary Panther brah. lol

We were tryna' to keep that under wraps mane. But it's true. From what I understand, it's still in the talks phase but it looks like it's gonna' happen. :D

Now, if you <b>really</b> want to put a rumor out there.....:emlaugh: How'z about txa&mu vs PVAMU @ kyle field? :confused:
:emlaugh: Nah, no time soon. ;) lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This is a game that the Coogs fans said that they'd LOVE to bring SU (especially you) in on because y'all gonna' bring 20K+ fans to their stadium. They recalled the SU/TSU games and how the entire stadium was blue/gold. Note, they never alluded to the football team. :| Go figure...

We'll be alright though. Why don'tchall (Kerr) work on lsu mane? :confused: I think those type of intra-state rivalries are waaaaaaaaaay overdue regardless of classification.

Panthro said:
This is a game that the Coogs fans said that they'd LOVE to bring SU (especially you) in on because y'all gonna' bring 20K+ fans to their stadium. They recalled the SU/TSU games and how the entire stadium was blue/gold. Note, they never alluded to the football team. :| Go figure...

We'll be alright though. Why don'tchall (Kerr) work on lsu mane? :confused: I think those type of intra-state rivalries are waaaaaaaaaay overdue regardless of classification.

LSU and U of H are two totally different beast on the gridiron. We could play a much more competive game with a U of H and maybe a decent payday.

JROCK said:
LSU and U of H are two totally different beast on the gridiron. We could play a much more competive game with a U of H and maybe a decent payday.

True, the difference is, LSU could offer a substantial payday, whereas playing U of H would probably be less financial beneficial than just playing one of our customary creampuffs at home.

Nope, the difference is U of H is looking for someone to help put folks in the stands and publicity (Which Southern would do), LSU don't need any help at all to put 90,000 in Tiger Staduim. THere is really no benefit for LSU to play Southern, they are better off getting a team from way off to come in for the payday.

This game, (LSU-Southern) was though about last year, and didn't happen.

Lewis said:
Nope, the difference is U of H is looking for someone to help put folks in the stands and publicity (Which Southern would do), LSU don't need any help at all to put 90,000 in Tiger Staduim. THere is really no benefit for LSU to play Southern, they are better off getting a team from way off to come in for the payday.

This game, (LSU-Southern) was though about last year, and didn't happen.

I agree completely, I was just analyzing it from the Southern point of view.

C-LeB28 said:
UH-Prairie View would benefit both
By MICHAEL MURPHY
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

It's been a lively rumor on campus. It's been hotly bandied about on message boards, and it's even been reported in the media.

But the proposed game between Houston and Prairie View, which is supposed to take place next season, still is not a done deal. Discussions are ongoingbut nothing's been signed, so there is a chance it could get shelved.

From the perspective of Houston athletic director Dave Maggard, the idea is pretty simple -- it's a game that would help draw attention to football in the city, and it certainly helps that it's a winnable game for the Coogs.

For the Panthers, it would be a nice payday, and it's a chance for the "little guy" -- the Division I-AA Panthers -- to knock off a Division I-A school.

NCAA rules governing outside competition stipulate that every four years a Division I-A team could count one victory against a Division I-AA opponent towards the six-win minimum for bowl eligibility. But that's only provided the Division I-AA team has averaged 60 financial aid equivalencies in football during the three preceding academic years.

According to the Prairie View sports information director's office, the Panthers awarded 63 scholarships the past two years, but only 15 in 2002-03, which would exclude them from the exempt classification.

End of story. No game.

But wait!

To read the entire story go here... http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2893453

JROCK said:
Dude you are in the wrong forum. This is the sports forum.

I know that - I can read.

It is my ability to read that helps me understand that the topic of this thread concerns two local sports programs that are considering an athletic match-up.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The fact of the matter it would probably mean a payday in access of 300,000.00 for PV. This is what UH paid Sam Houston State three years ago.
This is why PV would play the game.

The irony is Texas Southern's A.D. is a Cougar alum. Why has he not scheduled such a game. This should be a natural. If this game happens I will be happy for PV, however it should send a signal to our administration.

Back