‘Stretching needs to be a crucial part of your life’ – flexibility expert recommends these three stretches to ‘hit the whole body’

Olde Hornet

How to do Cody Mooney’s three-move stretching routine​

This routine should take a maximum of 12 minutes. Perform the poses one after the other, holding each one for two to three minutes (or two to three minutes on each leg for the pigeon pose).

“You shouldn’t push yourself into these poses, and you shouldn’t ever feel pain,” Mooney advises. “Everyone’s built differently and everyone has different levels of flexibility. Take your time getting into each stretch – this should be a nice moment, not a stressful one.”

It’s also important to keep your breathing steady throughout each stretch.

“For me, it’s not about doing a specific breathing routine,” Mooney explains. “I just breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, allowing me to be nice and relaxed. Each time I breathe out, I’ll try and sink a little bit deeper into the pose if I can, and surrender into the stretch.”

1. Pigeon pose​

• Start in a high kneeling position.
  • Extend your right leg in front of you, then bend your knee so your shin runs across your body.
  • Extend your left leg behind you and sink your hips back as far as you comfortably can.
  • Hold this position for two to three minutes on either leg.
  • To feel a deeper stretch, gently lean over your front shin.

Back