Why the SWAC is losing the Celebration Bowl? … Defense.

PBSwag77

The SWAC has not a had a defensive lineman drafted since 2011 (Frank Kearse,AAMU). IMO the SWAC has become a finesse league that runs mostly spread concepts and defense has suffered for it. My question is are the coaches struggling to recruit the positions or is there just a lack of player development? The answer is probably some where in the middle. There is a chance that FAMUs Isaiah Land will break the streak in 2023, but I believe he’s a day 3 pick at best. JSU is thriving bc Coach Prime prioritized the front 7 and even when their offense struggles, the defense bails them out. I hope the rest of the league embraces the value of the front 7 and improve the overall quality of defense in the league.

That aint why we lost the CB to a sorry SCState team who aint beat nobody else.

Let's hope we can win it this year. The MEAC has the advantage. They are preparing for JSU as we speak.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
That aint why we lost the CB to a sorry SCState team who aint beat nobody else.

Let's hope we can win it this year. The MEAC has the advantage. They are preparing for JSU as we speak.
I agree, O- line and TOs lost that game last yr.

Broadway had a run oriented offense and plenty of our fans said it was “boring”. But his approach of “Stop the Run, Don’t turn the ball over, be sound in the kicking game” led to two CB wins… but not at Grambling.
We got to stop caring about boring and focus on what wins. Georgia is also boring as hell, but can’t nobody match their physicality

Heck we won the Celebration bowl 10-9. That was a defensive win.
I am glad we won, but there was no way our explosive offense should have allowed NCCU to keep us on a 10 point leash. That sh_t was a mess and still showcased how the MEAC being the MEAC. To this day, I thank God for that flag after that last Eagle TD.

games like that you gotta come prepared no matter who you play!! SC STATE last yr wanted it and it showed they were truly under dogs I was shocked to see that score isn’t NCCU going this year for the MEAC ?

games like that you gotta come prepared no matter who you play!! SC STATE last yr wanted it and it showed they were truly under dogs I was shocked to see that score isn’t NCCU going this year for the MEAC ?
Yes! They tied with Howard for best record but beat them Head to Head with a blowout win.

Attachments

• 5EA388B2-D353-49B7-900C-FB7F76FC66A0.jpeg
    5EA388B2-D353-49B7-900C-FB7F76FC66A0.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 6
We got to stop caring about boring and focus on what wins. Georgia is also boring as hell, but can’t nobody match their physicality
Oregon St is a physical team too. QB up under center handing the ball off and they're hard to handle. I hope more teams go away from the spread bs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The SWAC has not a had a defensive lineman drafted since 2011 (Frank Kearse,AAMU). IMO the SWAC has become a finesse league that runs mostly spread concepts and defense has suffered for it. My question is are the coaches struggling to recruit the positions or is there just a lack of player development? The answer is probably some where in the middle. There is a chance that FAMUs Isaiah Land will break the streak in 2023, but I believe he’s a day 3 pick at best. JSU is thriving bc Coach Prime prioritized the front 7 and even when their offense struggles, the defense bails them out. I hope the rest of the league embraces the value of the front 7 and improve the overall quality of defense in the league.
Development vs recruiting....maybe a bit of both. LB position is also a position full of certain injuries throughout the career. It's a gladiator position. It CAN be coached just like efficient sprinting. And an athlete with the right coaching, nutrition, and ethic can do it very well.
More to your point in question too...just hear me out...I believe the swac has been beaten on making the right adjustments in the Heritage bowl on both sides of the ball. Whole Lotta factors. Getcha popcorn...

Back