JSU/PVAMU to the SCG; The Celebration Bowl; FAMU to the FCS title game.

They need to upgrade the towers at the stadium (plus get some wifi) because they weren't made to have that many people in a stadium at one time (we went through the same thing at Valley although I just made sure to download the tickets to my phone)

That's not just a problem there, it's a problem at all of our stadiums as most don't have those extra bandwidths to handle the increased traffic.

Why would PV fans travel well when they "barely" show up at home? I hope they do but just keeping it 100. And the State Fair Classic don't count ... PV has a large contigency already in DFW. Also the State Fair Classic attracts a lot of locals that root for the in-state team they know someone went to. Also when PV played in
Can't that be said for jsu?
What else is there to do in Jackson, Ms?
Any major pro teams there?
Any other major D1 colleges there playing?
Can't that be said for jsu? Yes, but that can be said for for lots of cities.

What else is there to do in Jackson, Ms? So, people around Jackson decide to sit in traffic, walk a distance to a stadium, sit in the stadium during a pandemic, spend $$$, then go through this again on the way home because there's nothing else to do? 🤔 Can't be because they're fans though.

Any major pro teams there? So, if a pro team is nearby, no one will go to a college game? 🤔 Did the attendance numbers sky-rocket after the Oilers/Titans left?

Any other major D1 colleges there playing? So, if a "major" D1 program plays in a town, no one will go to the FCS games?🤔
Years ago there were double headers at the Vet where MSU or Ole Miss would play select games and JSU would play in the evening. JSU still had high attendance numbers.

Being real, these seem like customized excuses. I'm pretty sure your ADs wants to replicate the numbers at JSU, FAMU, SU, Alcorn, ASU, NCAT, etc. Especially being in one of the largest metro areas in the country. Instead of throwing Jackson under the bus, seems y'all should be asking your ADs how they can achieve the numbers these other colleges are doing.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Can't that be said for jsu? Yes, but that can be said for for lots of cities.

What else is there to do in Jackson, Ms? So, people around Jackson decide to sit in traffic, walk a distance to a stadium, sit in the stadium during a pandemic, spend $$$, then go through this again on the way home because there's nothing else to do? 🤔 Can't be because they're fans though.

Any major pro teams there? So, if a pro team is nearby, no one will go to a college game? 🤔 Did the attendance numbers sky-rocket after the Oilers/Titans left?

Any other major D1 colleges there playing? So, if a "major" D1 program plays in a town, no one will go to the FCS games?🤔
Years ago there were double headers at the Vet where MSU or Ole Miss would play select games and JSU would play in the evening. JSU still had high attendance numbers.

Being real, these seem like customized excuses. I'm pretty sure your ADs wants to replicate the numbers at JSU, FAMU, SU, Alcorn, ASU, NCAT, etc. Especially being in one of the largest metro areas in the country. Instead of throwing Jackson under the bus, seems y'all should be asking your ADs how they can achieve the numbers these other colleges are doing.
This argument pops up from time to time. I never see it as a knock on JSU.... just reality. There's some truth to both sides of it. There's more people packed in the Houston metro area than there are people total in any one of the states that are home to the schools you listed except Florida and North Carolina and Tallahassee and Greensboro are comparable to the Beaumont/Port Arthur area in East Texas. The shear land mass and number of people make things like traffic incomparable. Going somewhere here with zero traffic on the road can be a bother.

Having grown up in the Beaumont/PA area and lived in Houston for years I can tell you the difference without even addressing PV. I know PA was never the same after Rita so I could be wrong but high school games in that area (Beaumont, PA, Nederland, Port Neches, West Orange, Bridge City) were packed DEEP when I lived there. Compare that to a high school like my kid's in the Cypress area of Houston and you'd probably say attendance is dismal. In fact the booster club is always talking about trying to create the small town football feeling in the middle of the city and I know exactly what they meant. Now some of the schools that are fed by master planned communities out here to well because.... they have this crazy community sense of us vs the city. They want to feel like small isolated towns. Then you can look at U oh H. They're attendance is in the 20K range with a 40K stadium. All that to say it often depends on how easy it is to become the rallying point for a community. A giant metro isn't in need of an FCS school as a rallying point like a small town.

So yes being in a metro like Houston has it's disadvantages. Everything you do here is grueling traveling around a 10K square mile area and I believe it's why people in Houston often just don't do sh!t but stay at home whenever they get the chance. That being said PV is in the unique situation to have one foot in the door of a metro and the other in the door of small town rural Texas (well not for long but...). There's lot of politics and other things that kill the synergy that could be had between PV, Waller and Hempstead. Suffice to say if I stuck Lamar University or HBU where PV was I bet you wouldn't have to do much more than open the gates to pack the stadium. Still it's on us to solve the problem but let's be clear on what the problem actually is.

This argument pops up from time to time. I never see it as a knock on JSU.... just reality. There's some truth to both sides of it. There's more people packed in the Houston metro area than there are people total in any one of the states that are home to the schools you listed except Florida and North Carolina and Tallahassee and Greensboro are comparable to the Beaumont/Port Arthur area in East Texas. The shear land mass and number of people make things like traffic incomparable. Going somewhere here with zero traffic on the road can be a bother.

Having grown up in the Beaumont/PA area and lived in Houston for years I can tell you the difference without even addressing PV. I know PA was never the same after Rita so I could be wrong but high school games in that area (Beaumont, PA, Nederland, Port Neches, West Orange, Bridge City) were packed DEEP when I lived there. Compare that to a high school like my kid's in the Cypress area of Houston and you'd probably say attendance is dismal. In fact the booster club is always talking about trying to create the small town football feeling in the middle of the city and I know exactly what they meant. Now some of the schools that are fed by master planned communities out here to well because.... they have this crazy community sense of us vs the city. They want to feel like small isolated towns. Then you can look at U oh H. They're attendance is in the 20K range with a 40K stadium. All that to say it often depends on how easy it is to become the rallying point for a community. A giant metro isn't in need of an FCS school as a rallying point like a small town.

So yes being in a metro like Houston has it's disadvantages. Everything you do here is grueling traveling around a 10K square mile area and I believe it's why people in Houston often just don't do sh!t but stay at home whenever they get the chance. That being said PV is in the unique situation to have one foot in the door of a metro and the other in the door of small town rural Texas (well not for long but...). There's lot of politics and other things that kill the synergy that could be had between PV, Waller and Hempstead. Suffice to say if I stuck Lamar University or HBU where PV was I bet you wouldn't have to do much more than open the gates to pack the stadium. Still it's on us to solve the problem but let's be clear on what the problem actually is.

Good points. But, attendance at some FCS schools in small to mid-sized cities seem to be similar to PV and TSU's in a lot of cases...like Hampton, AAMU, Richmond, Norfolk St. etc. Maybe nothing's wrong with PV and TSU's attendance numbers. It could be just a label that's put on y'all for some reason. Now, I don't know if there's some difference in the amount of fans who travel.

Jackson State University National Alumni Association, Inc.

1 min ·

#iBelieve: Congratulations are in order!
•Deion "Coach Prime" Sanders - SWAC Coach of the Year
•Shedeur Sanders - SWAC Freshman of the Year
•James Houston - SWAC Newcomer of the Year
May be an image of 3 people and text
Well deserved.

Remarkable turnaround in less than 1 year. From 2019 this:

EAST
Alcorn State6-10.8579-30.750W3
Alabama A&M4-30.5717-50.583W1
Alabama State4-30.5715-60.455L2
Jackson State3-40.4294-80.333L3
Mississippi Valley State1-60.1432-9

to this is nothing short of remarkable:

EAST
Jackson State8-01.00010-10.909W8
Florida A&M7-10.8759-30.750L1
Alabama A&M5-30.6257-30.700W4
Alabama State3-50.3755-60.455W2
Mississippi Valley State3-50.3754-70.364W2
Bethune-Cookman2-60.2502-9

Well deserved.

EAST

EAST

It truly is. IBELIEVE

Well deserved.

EAST

EAST
JSU *

View: https://youtu.be/wWV7sfwSU9w

🥲

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Hosting its first SWAC title game, Jackson State is ready to show off 'best' fans in FCS​

"We are anticipating between 55 and 60,000 people at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium," SWAC commissioner Charles McClelland said. "If that happens, we’re going to outdraw every FBS championship game probably other than the SEC."

But it's more than just big crowds and a winning team that make JSU home games unique. It's the pageantry of the Sonic Boom and the J-Settes. It's the thousands of people tailgating outside the stadium.

It's the loyal fans, like Calvin Younger, who has been going to JSU games for 50 years. The former JSU quarterback goes to every home game with seats on the 50-yard line and regularly travels to away games. He says he and his wife have made a tradition out of it.

"You can go out there and tailgate and see our culture, our people, as Deion would say," Younger said. "He said he came to an HBCU for his people. Ain't that what he said? So you see your people and you're able to fellowship, support the university, and have fun. It's amazing."

Jackson State led the FCS in 2018 and 2019, even before Sanders took over at JSU. But, his arrival has kicked things up a notch. Now the Tigers are drawing more than 40,000 per game, which is close to what the average FBS school draws.

And now, with the Tigers (10-1) to play Prairie View A&M (7-4) for the SWAC title game at home Saturday (3 p.m., ESPN2) , the stage is set for Jackson State to show the country that it has one of the most unique atmospheres in all of HBCU football.

GO TIGERS! An Ole Miss Fan’s Response to Coach Prime’s Invitation

Fellow Mississippians, Coach Deion Sanders is calling on us all to come and support his Jackson State Tigers against Prairie View in the SWAC Championship this weekend and I, for one, intend to answer his call. I’m an Ole Miss fan and former player, but I’ll be in Jackson this weekend cheering with as many people as I can muster.

Because Coach Prime is right.
Though a lifelong Ole Miss fan, I’ve followed SWAC football since I went on a recruitment trip to the 2009 Capital City Classic between JSU and Alcorn (though as an Alcorn recruit). As such, I recognize and respect what’s happened with Jackson State and SWAC football overall during the last two years. I’ve loved watching the revival and it warms my heart to see a new generation of sports fans rediscovering the unique culture and enchanting atmospheres of these universities.

In 1962, Ole Miss went undefeated 10–0 and won a share of the NCAA Division One National Championship. The same year, Jackson State went 10–1 and won a share on the Black College Division National Championship.

Thus, in 1962, the small state of Mississippi produced not one but two major national championships

I agree with this. Like I said before, outside TTU, UT, A&M, and Baylor (Big 4) .... college football attendance and excitement in Texas is sub-par. TX college fans outside the Big 4 may show up for the "rivalry/homecoming games" but outside that it's nothing consistent and noteworthy like the fandom we see with Alcorn, JSU, SU, FAMU. I mean JSU outdraw University of Houston (next door to TSU averaging 25K per home game) and they have nearly 50K students and a top 25 ranked FBS football team. Sam Houston State (right outside Houston) has the #1 FCS team and over 20K enrolled and guess what their home attendance avg is 8k (15K capacity) ... like nobody seems to care in TX if you're not the big 4.

Also Texas blacks just move very different than blacks in other SWAC states ... they never been big on supporting Texas HBCUs as a collective ... in Baton Rouge and Jackson for example the whole hood come out to support and rep for SU and JSU. Maybe one day that will change ... but I doubt it b/c it's the biggest draw back of being in a major metro as big as Houston (blessing for opportunities/social life/shopping and a curse for college athletics). Our ADs need to do a better job of winning them over.

I'll be there in spirit in Jackson. Ya'll show out and have fun #BlackExcellence

Last edited:
Back