Tennessee lawmakers move to remove and replace Tennessee State University Board

TSU did this to themselves. They had an opportunity to prove to the state they were running the institution properly and were good stewards of state funds but they failed terribly with the audit. I don't understand how people are spinning this as some type of racial attack instead of what it honestly is. Clearly they are not looking at the facts and enjoy focusing on the race aspect of this fiasco. Not everything bad that happens to Black people is unfair or racism ... sometimes it's deserved

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...tennessee-state-university-board/73124246007/ The article gives insight into a lot. TNSU audit found no mismanagement of funds. The 250 million that TnSU received last year went to scholarships or debt students incurred (which helped many students stay in school and graduate and incoming freshman have a pathway of not worrying about money problems. That is why TnSU saw an increase in enrollment, but the Tennessee legislators got upset because students were staying in hotels. TnSU officials made it known that many universities put students in hotels. The article also talked about the 2.1 billion in underfunding. “Tennessee State University was denied those resources, and because they were denied the resources there were problems that occurred," said Rep. Justin Pearson, D-Memphis. "But instead of us rectifying the problems that we created through racist policies by underfunding Tennessee State University, we're now advocating to vacate their board."

Capitalism has to have a permanent underclass. A lack of education contributes to that end; not to mention the Black Criminal Justice system.
@tsugraytiger, this is the part of the thread where you are supposed to come back and say, "My ass wasn't just wrong, but dead wrong." Come on, brother. You can do it! We all family in this mug.

@tsugraytiger, this is the part of the thread where you are supposed to come back and say, "My ass wasn't just wrong, but dead wrong." Come on, brother. You can do it! We all family in this mug.
I have no problem apologizing or stating I'm wrong when I'm wrong but I am not. And if TSU (or TSU alumni) is in the right, they should take this to court where they would win easily right? They are not gonna take it to court b/c the evidence stands against them. Yes blatant fraud was not found, great, but mismanagement of funds and disorganization are still major problems at TSU which is not something to overlook, especially for a institution that's not exactly rich. I'm not rooting for TSU to fail, I'm standing in truth which is often a problem here especially if it shows Black people/HBCUs in the wrong light. TSU (just like my alma mater) can be ran significantly better with proven quality leadership. The only DI HBCUs I feel are ran to at least a satisfactory level are FAMU and maybe Hampton (jury still out but noticed notable improvements under new president).

Side note: Grambling's new library has been completed for almost 2 years yet it's still not open to students. You really think that would happen at La Tech or ULM? What's up with that? Most of our HBCUs has been plagued with bad leadership for DECADES but almost everybody pretending it's the opposite happening. That's only gonna make an already bad situation worse.

Last edited:
I have no problem apologizing or stating I'm wrong when I'm wrong but I am not. And if TSU (or TSU alumni) is in the right, they should take this to court where they would win easily right? They are not gonna take it to court b/c the evidence stands against them. Yes blatant fraud was not found, great, but mismanagement of funds and disorganization are still major problems at TSU which is not something to overlook, especially for a institution that's not exactly rich. I'm not rooting for TSU to fail, I'm standing in truth which is often a problem here especially if it shows Black people/HBCUs in the wrong light. TSU (just like my alma mater) can be ran significantly better with proven quality leadership. The only DI HBCUs I feel is ran to at least a satisfactory level are FAMU and maybe Hampton (jury still out but noticed notable improvements under new president).

Side note: Grambling's new library has been completed for almost 2 years yet it's still not open to students. You really think that would happen at La Tech or ULM? What's up with that? Most of our HBCUs has been plagued with bad leadership for DECADES but almost everybody pretending it's the opposite happening. That's only gonna make an already bad situation worse.
I have my own criticisms about the way things are run at HBCUs. Problems inimical to students at Texas Southern and Grambling befall students at FAMU, Howard, Morehouse and the like. The tone of your criticism seems to blame TSU for its problems. Take a look at the article below. The legislature focuses on TSU when other universities are far more creative in their corruption -- and they get away without criminal charges.

I have my own criticisms about the way things are run at HBCUs. Problems inimical to students at Texas Southern and Grambling befall students at FAMU, Howard, Morehouse and the like. The tone of your criticism seems to blame TSU for its problems. Take a look at the article below. The legislature focuses on TSU when other universities are far more creative in their corruption -- and they get away without criminal charges.

This is my last response on this matter and likely my last response on any serious topic on this board. Ya'll wearing me out.

1.) The article you shared is NOT about Tennessee public colleges which is the topic at hand
2.) All Tennessee public colleges are subject to audits. Below is an article of a Tennessee public college (Austin Peay State University) passing the audit with no problems
3.) Just because TSU is the only historically Black school in the state does NOT mean the standards need to be LOWERED.
4.) The State of Tennessee is pouring a record $250 million into TSU so of course the scrutiny will be heightened to ensure the money is not squandered and is used to elevate the institution
5.) You said TSU shouldn't be blamed for the problems and that attitude is exactly why most of our HBCUs struggle with enrollment and prestige. Lack of accountability for excellence and a bunch of misguided alumni who enable the lack of accountability. In 2024, most of the best Black kids still don't want to attend HBCUs for a reason and it's not all about lack of funding as most think. Between 2020 and 2022, HBCUs received RECORD funding! And just FYI, it's on the HBCUs to find creative ways to secure the necessary funding to thrive but most not doing what needs to be done. It's much easier to cry racism and play victim all day and get paid to do it.

Last edited:
I have no problem apologizing or stating I'm wrong when I'm wrong but I am not. And if TSU (or TSU alumni) is in the right, they should take this to court where they would win easily right? They are not gonna take it to court b/c the evidence stands against them. Yes blatant fraud was not found, great, but mismanagement of funds and disorganization are still major problems at TSU which is not something to overlook, especially for a institution that's not exactly rich. I'm not rooting for TSU to fail, I'm standing in truth which is often a problem here especially if it shows Black people/HBCUs in the wrong light. TSU (just like my alma mater) can be ran significantly better with proven quality leadership. The only DI HBCUs I feel are ran to at least a satisfactory level are FAMU and maybe Hampton (jury still out but noticed notable improvements under new president).

So, now you are going to dig in. There is a huge difference between "fraud" and "procedural deficiencies."

And how the hell did we go from TSU to Grambling's library? Leadership had nothing to do with Grambling's library issue. The issue was with the company that constructed the building. It was the leadership that would not accept ownership of the building until the repairs were completed, and it is currently being completed as well speak. (SMH)

Back