Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh delays paying employees amid accreditation problems

This is not a surprise to anyone that has been monitoring Saint Augustine since they initially closed down their football program and brought it back. In part the reason for bringing back the football program was in order to help to increase enrollment, given that the football team typicality has 85 or more players. They have been selling and leasing out university land for awhile, but it seems that has not been enough to cover expenses. I always wonder why there was two private small enrollment HBCUs (St. Aug and Shaw) so close together, as one would think it would be better to combine the schools in order to reduce cost and function a single school with a higher enrollment.

Their accreditation hearing is this month and if they are having problems making payroll, then it does not look good for them for keeping their accreditation. If they loose their accreditation I doubt they will be able to survive. I can see that either Shaw or the other small private university, PWI, looking into getting some of the assets of the school if they have to close down.

That may be part of the problem in not combining that they are private schools and the stakeholders of each, don't want to lose any power.
I think you are correct, but from my stand point the mission, the education of the people, should come first and be the priority. I think a combine St. Aug and Shaw would be a much strong school after getting rid of any duplication that the two schools has provided it is under Shaw leadership (as St. Aug is in the position they are in because of poor leaderships for a few decades).

Most of our HBCUs have money mismanagement issues. It's not they don't get enough funding. The UNCF which St. Agu is part of just received over $200 million since 2020 ... St. Aug definitely got some of that money. Not only that but the White House has allocated over $5 billion to HBCUs since 2021, I know they got some of that money too. Alumni and students need to start asking for receipts, I guarantee you they will be looking stupid with no proof of where the money going

Last edited:
It just got worse, as St. Aug got hit with a Tax Lien, garbage is not being picked up, teachers are canceling classes until the get paid, getting sued by the former football coach, own money to turf company, and the list continues to grow. There is no way now that they will be able to hold onto the their SACS accreditation unless something happens. When the next time I speak to brother I am going ask what he knows from the local reports.

Most of our HBCUs have money mismanagement issues. It's not they don't get enough funding. The UNCF which St. Agu is part of just received over $200 million since 2020 ... St. Aug definitely got some of that money. Not only that but the White House has allocated over $5 billion to HBCUs since 2021, I know they got some of that money too. Alumni and students need to start asking for receipts, I guarantee you they will be looking stupid with no proof of where the money going
Part of the problem is related to athletics because it they are operating in the red year after year. While football might have brought in more students in the players and people that like football, it has not been enough to turn a profit. It would not surprise me if they are operating in the red to pay the CIAA fees. This is just sad and the students are going to have to scramble to find a new schools to go to in North Carolina, if they want to stay in the state.

Part of the problem is related to athletics because it they are operating in the red year after year. While football might have brought in more students in the players and people that like football, it has not been enough to turn a profit. It would not surprise me if they are operating in the red to pay the CIAA fees. This is just sad and the students are going to have to scramble to find a new schools to go to in North Carolina, if they want to stay in the state.
Most schools (not even just HBCUs) operate in the red and still don't have nearly as many financial issues and mismanagement seen at most HBCUs. Grambling finished building a brand new library 2 years ago ... tell me why it's not officially open? That would never happen at a white college. Most HBCUs have serious LEADERSHIP problems.

Most schools (not even just HBCUs) operate in the red and still don't have nearly as many financial issues and mismanagement seen at most HBCUs. Grambling finished building a brand new library 2 years ago ... tell me why it's not officially open? That would never happen at a white college. Most HBCUs have serious LEADERSHIP problems.
I think it just depends on the school, as I would say the university of Arizona had the worst management, in recent memory, when it comes to mismanagement because how are you going to miss calculating funding and end up with 240 million budget shortfall. I would say one of the reasons athletics operate in the red is due to Title 9, as the federal government mandates tittle 9 for a certain number of women sports but does not provide any funding for those sports (which in most cases are non revenue). The thing I upset the most about the St. Aug situation is that they made the same mistake as St. Paul in Virginia, where they brought back football and it ended up dragging them down further in the hole. Looking back at past events they should of not brought back football and lease the stadium out to Shaw University (another HBCU in that city), as Shaw is playing games in Durham because they don't have their own stadium.

I do agree with you that schools that have mismanagement needs to fix their problems and operate as efficient as possible. PWIs have there share of issues, hence some of them are closing. Look at the university that was in the same city as Delaware State, their bad management lead to school having to be purchase by Delaware State or go under.

Sounds like another Morris Brown situation in the making.
I think it worse, as I don't recall Morris Brown has teacher canceling class mid semester for not getting paid and trash not being picked around campus. The bad thing is St. Aug location is center piece in a black area of the city and if it falls that could cause other issues in the area.

Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh, North Carolina, has lost its appeal seeking to maintain accreditation, a decision that adds to concerns about the viability of the historically Black college, one of two such schools with Episcopal roots that receive financial support from the church.

Its accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, or SACSCOC, first ruled in December that Saint Augustine’s had failed to meet six of the agency’s requirements and standards, including those relating to the university’s governing board, its financial resources and financial documents. The agency said it planned to remove the university as an accredited member institution, but it gave Saint Augustine’s time to pursue an appeal.

On Feb. 27, the SACSCOC announced that it had denied that appeal. University officials have vowed to fight that decision in court. In a written statement reacting to the appeal denial, they said they would pursue an injunction allowing the university to remain an accredited institution while it pursues legal remedies.

“We disagree with the decision made by SACSCOC and plan to appeal to a higher authority with evidence supporting the institution’s progress in resolving non-compliance,” interim President Marcus Burgess said in the university’s news release.

Back