Inside Russell Athletic's lucrative Southwestern Athletic Conference contract

DAHILL

full article at http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/11/inside_russell_athletics_lucra.html

Sports apparel supplier Russell Athletics supplies hundreds of thousands of dollars in free gear every year to Southwestern Athletic Conference institutions in exchange for exclusive licensing rights.

The contract between the industry giant and the historically black universities sports collective also gives the educational institutions a $5,000 stipend for coaching gear, a $2,000 product credit for the conference commissioner, and a number of cash incentives for winning teams.

In exchange, Russell gets to supply all 10 conference schools with all apparel until June 30, 2016. Russell also gets mandatory in-stadium advertising and free tickets to basketball and football home and playoffs games among other contract provisions.

I know BCU is a MEAC team, but I was under the impression that both contracts were essentially the same...BCU definitely didn't wear Russell gear at the Florida Classic

I post BCU's uniforms because I wonder if they gave us a glimpse at what's to become of the Russell deal once the contract is completed

os-florida-classic-b-cu-famu-1122-20151121

Well Russell might be getting the most natural exposure they've seen in a while with the Celebration Bowlo. I'm sure they already have ads made.

I like those BCU unis. But then again, I like simple if it's done right (i.e. Valley's green unis or AAMU's maroon unis)

I know BCU is a MEAC team, but I was under the impression that both contracts were essentially the same...BCU definitely didn't wear Russell gear at the Florida Classic

I post BCU's uniforms because I wonder if they gave us a glimpse at what's to become of the Russell deal once the contract is completed

os-florida-classic-b-cu-famu-1122-20151121

So if it's not Russell then whose is it? Because there isn't any logo to verify that it is or it isn't.

And wouldn't that be a preach of contract?

So if it's not Russell then whose is it? Because there isn't any logo to verify that it is or it isn't.

And wouldn't that be a preach of contract?

None of the BCU fans I spoke to would give any straight answers about which company made the uniforms...usually Russell will have its logo on the right chest of the jersey

The cut of the uniform reminds me of Adidas

None of the BCU fans I spoke to would give any straight answers about which company made the uniforms...usually Russell will have its logo on the right chest of the jersey

The cut of the uniform reminds me of Adidas

Sounds like nothing more than hersay and urban legend. Because one thing for sure if they had worn anything other then Russell that is most certainly a breach of their contract and them along with the conference would be in big trouble.

I don't see the fascination in any of it. You would swear the way some people talk and think. We were going to start getting the ODB of the world just because of a freaking apparel contract. Geesh!

Back