Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for the anthem in protest

Professionals have a bigger platform to get things done. I myself have stood up for something at a job that wasn't right. Then all the folks I was speaking up for was having their parking lot meeting talking about how they saw what I was doing was right and glad I said what I said but I did that for doing what was right. Mind you I was let go 6 months later on total bs. It was all about race but I didn't hold my words for fear of what was to be done however I did know the outcome would be and I was prepared.

I just hope Kaep is prepared for the outcome.

I believe he knows what he's doing.

A BIG statement would have been him doing this in the first regular season game nationally broadcasted on Monday Night when the the nation is watching. That would have trended all over the internet. but he chose a preseason game. if you want to do it big, dammit do it big...Monday Night Football,.

We're talking about it NOW.

About a month ago, I wrote a column that appeared on the front page of the paper I work for in response to current social issues of the day through the lens of a black man. Before it ran, my boss asked me was I sure I wanted it to run because of the overwhelming criticism from whites the piece would receive.

I told him I didn't care, and understood the ramifications of writing it.

I didn't have the same things to lose as Kaepernick for writing about race in the newspaper. But, it takes some level of courage to speak out as a black person in this country, knowing hell will come to breakfast for you.
Could you post it for me?

Wait, did you really just point to Tommie Smith and John Carlos as "acceptable" examples of how to protest? I know I wasn't alive in 68, but did I miss the heroes' welcome they received when they arrived home? The people who don't like the protest aren't going to dislike it less based on how you do it.

Yea I wasn't around myself but this picture is still iconic and displayed as a show of men standing for their beliefs. I didn't say they received a hero's welcome home, I pointed as it being an iconic moment for what they were protesting for.It's not always what you do that makes the statement, it's when and how you do it that defines the moment.

We're talking about it NOW.
Because it's a dead Saturday. Tony Romo will be the lead story for the rest of the weekend and then next week college football talk will take over. It's not always what you do that makes the statement, it's when and how you do it that defines the moment.

Yea I wasn't around myself but this picture is still iconic and displayed as a show of men standing for their beliefs. I didn't say they received a hero's welcome home, I pointed as it being an iconic moment for what they were protesting for.It's not always what you do that makes the statement, it's when and how you do it that defines the moment.

Because it's a dead Saturday. Tony Romo will be the lead story for the rest of the weekend and then next week college football talk will take over. It's not always what you do that makes the statement, it's when and how you do it that defines the moment.

Just stop.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos were suspended from the US T&F team for their salute.

That's all sorts of revisionist, and your points are all over the place. You said Kaepernick shouldn't risk his livelihood over the protest and then called on him to make an iconic moment like two people who faced all sorts of hardships, economic and otherwise, because of their protest. Which one do you want?

Just stop.

I know right. For everything you're trying to tell me I have your answer. Seriously what was on last night to talk about? Nothing. Kaep grabbed the headline and that wasn't until the wee hours of the morning. Had he done it on a national telecast it would have been the running story all night. And now that Romo news has broken, well you work for a paper you know what story goes first. not trying to go back and forth but it is what it is.

Tommie Smith and John Carlos were suspended from the US T&F team for their salute.
And yet their symbolic message is placed in history. They still STOOD for the anthem. They just added to it. And they acknowledged the anthem being played.

That's all sorts of revisionist, and your points are all over the place. You said Kaepernick shouldn't risk his livelihood over the protest and then called on him to make an iconic moment like two people who faced all sorts of hardships, economic and otherwise, because of their protest. Which one do you want?

I'm not all over anything, I would have prefered him not to do it that way. And i added if he was to do it and really wanted to make a statement he should have used a bigger platform other than a meaningless preseason game.

The 49'ers play at the Chicago Bears on Dec. 4. If "Mr. Make A Statement" wants to be an activist and voice of the Black Oppressed, then I challenge him to sit out the game in Chicago. Why? Because Blacks are killing Blacks at a rate of 12 murders per weekend and AT LEAST 30 to 40 others shot but not killed each weekend!

We kill more of our own in this nation than the Police and Whites combined........ !!!

The 49'ers play at the Chicago Bears on Dec. 4. If "Mr. Make A Statement" wants to be an activist and voice of the Black Oppressed, then I challenge him to sit out the game in Chicago. Why? Because Blacks are killing Blacks at a rate of 12 murders per weekend and AT LEAST 30 to 40 others shot but not killed each weekend!

We kill more of our own in this nation than the Police and Whites combined........ !!!

Rather Blaine Gabbert sit out

There's a nice hodgepodge of deflections. If you throw in single-parent homes and BLM is a terror group, you'd have yourself an all lives matter bingo. People always go to these points while neglecting the very systemic factors responsible for them, the very ones Kaepernick is actually protesting. Then again, to some, black perfection is a requirement for equal treatment under the law.

Every time folks talk about minorities in the states, somebody gotta throw out Chicago like its the big joker in spades

Can we stay on topic? We know water is wet but we are dealing with the drought right now.

Every time folks talk about minorities in the states, somebody gotta throw out Chicago like its the big joker in spades

Bruh, you mean the current situation and disfunction in Chicago is not the Big Joker or better yet the Big Joke??? It's Black on Black there and at record numbers each week.

This ain't not different than when we were shooting down our own in New Orleans, because it became a game to see if we could stay being called "Murder Capital". My Line Brother is and NOPD Spokeperson and he said killing each other became fun and games. But let one Cop shot down one of us....... We Burn down the block! Let Lil Ray Ray shoot down three at a dice party........ We ain't snitchen!

Detractors also threw "what about black on black crime"?in the face of MLK when he was fighting for Civil Riights, too.

These folks need to come up with a new game plan.

If you ain't doing shit to help the situation in Chicago, stop exploiting what's going on there to justify your lame soapbox

Do you ever see this pic being shown to show what someone believe in?
56e75b261e0000950071021d.jpeg

You do know Chris Jackson kka Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was blackballed out of the NBA after doing this (a good player/great FT shooter that stayed in the league 9-10 years I believe)?

Last edited:
Detractors also threw "what about black on black crime"?in the face of MLK when he was fighting for Civil Riights, too.

These folks need to come up with a new game plan.

If you ain't doing shit to help the situation in Chicago, stop exploiting what's going on there to justify your lame soapbox
Why come up with a new product when we keep buying the old one?

George W. Bush talking about Saddam Hussein...He is killing his own people

White folk justifying slavery...they sold their own people

Same soup warmed over

And they did that to Chris Jackson because black people allowed it, black men in particular.

As always we can find a million damn reason as to why he shouldn't have done it instead of going to his Twitter account and giving our support at the very least and the same people will applaud LeBron, D Wade and others for taking a BLM stand in the same breath.

Then we wondering why so many of this generation of women take your role and men are taking their role?.

MUCH RESPECT TO KAEP!!!

The issue is he took time to state why and understood the consequences. We can be our own worse enemy. Some of same people in this thread who disagree with Kaep have stated something differently in small.

This is my question to the people who disagree with Kaep:

Would you allow an injustice to happen and not say anything for the sake of your job?

Back