Why don't the Alabama schools bring their bands to Grambling & vice versa?

Could be, I don't think Grambling has any financial issues. I guess they don't travel to the Bamas because they don't travel to Grambling. Same reason why us and Pine Bluff don't travel to each other anymore.
AAMU has been to Grambling.... and Grambling has been to AAMU.

Grambling said they want A&M to pay for their band to come here so A&M rarely goes to Grambling...idk the last time they have made the trip

the few times Grambling has been here was because they said they felt like popping up..and it's always our homecoming when they do

as for SU last year I don't know the reason but it may have been because the band was in Memphis that wknd...I know both schools have a good record of returning trips back & forth

Last edited:
Basically, bands now are saying if you Dnt come to us then we want come to you. Example JSU & UAPB. Pine bluff gave JSU a few more opportunities to return the favor but the boom still didn't come the following year after pine bluff came to us so now pine bluff chooses pvam over JSU.

It's up to the band director, if Dr. Pannell wants to go, the band will be there lol. I think the last time Grambling has been to A&M was like 06 and Bama State in 05. Bama State hasn't been to Grambling since 2002 and A&M can to Grambling in 09.

Bama St last year was 2002. GSU Went to ASU in 2005 & 2007. ASU has yet to travel back to gsu. AAMU had a small thing in 99 when GSU wanted AAMU to pay for their trip NOPE. But 2005 AAMU made the trip GSU returned it in 2006.NO AAMU in 07..GSU came to AAMU in 2008...AAMU returned in 09. But No GSU IN 2010 looks like gsu an AAMU owe each other trips. Only time GSU vs ASU met was 2010 in ATL HBCU bowl. ( gsu played tf outta power). all in all ASU owe gsu. and AAMU and gsu owe each other.

@TRU3000. How can GSU just pop up? They returned a trip. Even returned two years later to AAMU HOMECOMING even when 2007 no AAMU. GSU PARTICIPATED IN AAMU HOMECOMING PARADE AND EVERYTHING. NOT MANY AWAY BANDS DO THAT.

@TRU3000. How can GSU just pop up? They returned a trip. Even returned two years later to AAMU HOMECOMING even when 2007 no AAMU. GSU PARTICIPATED IN AAMU HOMECOMING PARADE AND EVERYTHING. NOT MANY AWAY BANDS DO THAT.

since 99 when the school entered the SWAC ..how many times has grambling been to aamu? how many times has aamu been to grambling?

the crazy thing is both bands would always end up facing each other at the end of the season in the many SCGs that both schools played in since 1999

Last edited:
since 99 when the school entered the SWAC ..how many times has grambling been to aamu? how many times has aamu been to grambling?

the crazy thing is both bands would always end up facing each other at the end of the season in the many SCGs that both schools played in since 1999
GSU did that in 99 that was it....but AAmu went to gsu in 2005,2009. Gsu went to AAMU IN 06 AND ,08. They saw each other at SGC 00 02 05 2011. AAmu did not return the trip in 07 but gsu did not return in 2010 they both owe each other trips

Heck UAPB (2- 2 1/2 hours), Grambling (3-3 1/2 hours), SU (4) and ASU (4) don't come here either so it's just a matter of schools wanting to come or not (I can understand the Texas schools and AAMU)

I wonder why is that? They use to travel pretty well

Pretty much every band comes to Jackson 90% of the time... LOL (with the exception of PV). Its easy to get to us and we sit in the middle of the conference. Plus schools want to challenge the BOOM. UAPB didn't come to us because we stopped going to them. I expect us to go to them this year.

With us, it comes down to the travel budget and the school we're playing. In Odd-numbered years, we will always travel to Bama State and TXSU. We haven't been to UAPB since 2007, and haven't been to Valley since 2005. Now had the Valley game last season not been on a Thursday, we probably would have traveled to that game since we usually travel to 3 SWAC Road Games. In Even-numbered years, JSU, PV (now that they have a new stadium), and Alcorn are locks as far as travel is concerned. We made the trip to Alabama A&M in 2014, but they didn't return the favor in 2015. So that might be the game the band doesn't travel to unless we have excess funds in the budget for travel.

Odd Years

at Bama State
at TXSU

at UAPB
at Valley

Even Years

at JSU
at PV

at Alabama A&M
at Alcorn

Back