Bayou Classic BOTB 2015

I don't know what the big deal is most people at the Battle of the band said this was the best one in years

That was my general feeling when I left. I saw right in front of SU. BOTH bands had better selections than last year. And Grambling sound has definitely improved. But you have folks on other sites say they GSU sounded like crap. I digress. I think of the 29k in attendance, most left pleased. Now that step show had to of been the worst in BC BOTB history. Change is needed immediately. Not sure why the Bayou Classic Committee is so stubborn with this one.

Blah blah blah. A bunch of rambling. As predicted, you didn't answer my question! Enjoy your Sunday!

Please! Your ignorance about music has already been exposed with your trash post. Your post is called rambling. Mine is full of knowledge that I know you don't have in this subject. SU put on a garbage show. Take it like a man. Haymer was a corny comedian begging for a red carpet and never got it. Do better next year.

Please! Your ignorance about music has already been exposed with your trash post. Your post is called rambling. Mine is full of knowledge that I know you don't have in this subject. SU put on a garbage show. Take it like a man. Haymer was a corny comedian begging for a red carpet and never got it. Do better next year.

Of course. SU sounds like garbage. Everything they played was awful... Happy? ....... On to the next.

Do you expect SU to be soft? SU has been powerful since...... Just say you hate SU and move on.
You sound like a complete fool asking that question to a musician. Also, my SU circle will read your post and laugh harder than me. Hating SU is not an option in my life. I know what the real Jukebox sounds and looks like. Dr Greggs and Mr. Jackson have done to much for me as a NOLA High Musician for me to hate SU.

The problem for brainwashed SU folks is that you all can't see or smell your own sh_t. It's a blessing that I have a good number of SU friends and frat bruhs who know grew up in a better SU era and have the integrity to admit victory and defeat.

My resume with Grambling, SU, FAMU, Tennessee State, JSU and even Norfolk makes me able to know what the F I am talking about. Let me know if you want to compare who knows what or has been where in music/bands between me and you. I am confident that folks around here will take my word over yours.

Wow. It's getting hot in here.

3 of my coworkers (1 MEAC grad, 1 Big Ten grad) took the trip to New Orleans for the Battle of the Bands.
I tried to stay out of this because unfortunately, you guys don't have judges to make a decision on who won the battle. I do agree that Grambling please the crowd more than Southern did. Southern's crowd did their best to carry their band over, but the result was evident while walking around the city. Every GSU fan I meet seem happy about their bands performance, but I can't say the same for SU fans.

I personally thought SU sounded better on more selections, but wasn't impressed with their song selection. There is a difference between playing "classic old school hits" verses playing "old" songs. Southern played quite a few questionable selections. No offense to GSU, but most of the Battle of the Bands that I have been to, GSU is the band usually playing songs that make people say, "why in the hell are they playing that?" Also, SU usually takes the W's in my book as well. This year, I would have to say that Grambling won the battle of the bands. Everyone knows that SU folks have strong pride and will never admit when they aren't up to par, but it is what it is.

Questions and Concerns
Grambling: Please stop trying to take us to church every time we make this trip. That wait in the water wasn't called for! When it's time to march out and leave, please march out and leave. All of that hopping around and jumping around when Southern is preparing to exit is annoying! Please tell who ever recruited your dancers to keep those pretty ladies coming! GSU usually doesn't bring it like that. And what in the hell was that outfit that the band marching in on Friday night? Ugh! This wasn't a Chinese New Year event!

Southern: Your attention whore for a band director needs to chill out. As someone has already said, he is a corn ball and should just conduct the band instead of being out-classed by GSU's staff. It's starting to rub off on your kids because the drum major and a few other members looked like a bunch of tap dancing clowns while the opposing band was playing. The entire band going to sleep is one thing, but just a few acting like they have a mental condition and can't keep still is another. Don't ya'll think that the "ok" chant is kind of out of style? Why does Southern play "Neck" at the battle of the bands?

Last edited:
Wow. It's getting hot in here.

3 of my coworkers (1 MEAC grad, 1 Big Ten grad) took the trip to New Orleans for the Battle of the Bands.
I tried to stay out of this because unfortunately, you guys don't have judges to make a decision on who won the battle. I do agree that Grambling please the crowd more than Southern did. Southern's crowd did their best to carry their band over, but the result was evident while walking around the city. Every GSU fan I meet seem happy about their bands performance, but I can't say the same for SU fans.

I personally thought SU sounded better on more selections, but wasn't impressed with their song selection. There is a difference between playing "classic old school hits" verses playing "old" songs. Southern played quite a few questionable selections. No offense to GSU, but most of the Battle of the Bands that I have been to, GSU is the band usually playing songs that make people say, "why in the hell are they playing that?" Also, SU usually takes the W's in my book as well. This year, I would have to say that Grambling won the battle of the bands. Everyone knows that SU folks have strong pride and will never admit when they aren't up to par, but it is what it is.

Questions and Concerns
Grambling: Please stop trying to take us to church every time we make this trip. That wait in the water wasn't called for! When it's time to march out and leave, please march out and leave. All of that hopping around and jumping around when Southern is preparing to exit is annoying! Please tell who ever recruited your dancers to keep those pretty ladies coming! GSU usually doesn't bring it like that. And what in the hell was that outfit that the band marching in on Friday night? Ugh! This wasn't a Chinese New Year event!

Southern: Your attention whore for a band director needs chill out. As someone has already said, he is a corn ball and should just conduct the band instead of being out-classed by GSU's staff. It's starting to rub off on your kids because the drum major and a few other members looked like a bunch of tap dancing clowns while the opposing band was playing. The entire band going to sleep is one thing, but just a few acting like they have a mental condition and can't keep still is another. Don't ya'll think that the "ok" chant is kind of out of style? Why does Southern play "Neck" at the battle of the bands?

You people are so ignorant that you don't have a clue. Your perception of Nathan Haymer is mute, null, and void. So sit down and STFU. Y'all sound like little school girls. As long as the Southern University Board is fine with him that is all that matters. He isn't going anywhere. JSU has bigger issues they need to be concerned with. Hell, they just forced a Legend into early retirement.

Facts about with this "cornball" has done at the helm of the Jukebox.
1. Scholarship budget deficit was raised and fully funded.
2. The HJAA is more united than ever and actively addressing needs of the HJ.
3. The band has WORKED harder the past two years than most of you bands have in 10 years.
4. The Human Jukebox Communitiy Involvement is at an all time high.
5. The NEEDs of the band needs were surfaced and actively being addressed. The university will increase SU's budget next year.
6. The entire staff is new in position, yet tradition hasn't missed a beat. Are the perfect? Of course not.
7. The band has built more CORPORATE sponsorships in the past two years than the last 15 years.
8. One of the largest High School Bands Camps in the nation.
9. New instruments. Percussion and euphoniums.

So while you people are on the internet trying to tear down this man's credibility, he is taking the Band Program to greater heights. Hell, every director in SU History has gotten attention. You people, mainly JSU folks, talk more crap about SU when your 2015 band........ Never mind. Too easy...

Hypocrisy is at all time high. You people couldn't destroy SU even if you tried! So keep trying.

Last edited:
@Jag4life11
3. The band has WORKED harder the past two years than most of you bands have in 10 years.

How would you know? ALL bands work hard. SU just has to show everyone each and every one of their accomplishments as if other bands can not achieve the same. smh
Specifically, what are you referring to? The band has a Facebook page to keep alumni and supporters in the know. What else does SU do? Is it because they have the highest views on social media? Celeb shot outs? National media outlets? What is it does SU do? I personally love it when all bands share their accomplishments.

Hello
Ordinary People
90s mix
Hotline Bling

Everything that was played sounded great. We didn't just stick to playing all the current hit, we mixed it up.

Are you serious? SU's arrangement of Adelle's Hello is straight up GARBAGE! Overblown, SU DESECRATED
that beautiful song.

Are you serious? SU's arrangement of Adelle's Hello is straight up GARBAGE! Overblown, SU DESECRATED
that beautiful song.
What exactly is AAMU known for? Their sound good but shouldn't ever touch anyone's field. The band has never been consistent and will never be on SU level. Next....... Does AAMU even have a book?

You people are so ignorant that you don't have a clue. Your perception of Nathan Haymer is mute, null, and void. So sit down and STFU. Y'all sound like little school girls. As long as the Southern University Board is fine with him that is all that matters. He isn't going anywhere. JSU has bigger issues they need to be concerned with. Hell, they just forced a Legend into early retirement.

5. The NEEDs of the band needs were surfaced and actively being addressed. The university will increase SU's budget next year.
6. The entire staff is new in position, yet tradition hasn't missed a beat. Are the perfect? Of course not.
7. The band has built more CORPORATE sponsorships in the past two years than the last 15 years.

So while you people are on the internet trying to tear down this man's credibility, he is taking the Band Program to greater heights. Hell, every director in SU History has gotten attention. You people, mainly JSU folks, talk more crap about SU when your 2015 band........ Never mind. Too easy...

Hypocrisy is at all time high. You people couldn't destroy SU even if you tried! So keep trying.

Dude you for real mad cuz Basebone in here wearing yo arse out? Lmao!!

1.) NO ONE forced Taylor to retire. He decided on his own to retire after being at JSU 30+ years. How the hell is that early retirement? Lol. I bet you didn't even think about that before you typed it.

2.) How is it that we have more problems to worry about when our band has already had everything your BD has been begging for? Lol. Get real dude. Our only problem is that alum from your broke arse school that doesn't know how to run our band. But that's going to be fixed real soon. Wait on it lol.

3.) No need to take it out on us because you're mad at the fact that Basebone is right about your band. Thats the funniest, weakest SU ish ever lmao.

Dude, yall SUCKED at the BOTB lol. People said our BOTB with PV was better and Gram ran through yall sorry, out of tune band. The Whiteducks especially. Them dudes sound like hurt geese. How the hell you on a basshorn and sound thin playing high and low?

Where's that SU dude that said there's a difference between loud and powerful? I wonder if he knew the difference when SU played at that BOTB with those horrible arrangements lmao. Funny how shit turn back on that ass.

Dude you for real mad cuz Basebone in here wearing yo arse out? Lmao!!

1.) NO ONE forced Taylor to retire. He decided on his own to retire after being at JSU 30+ years. How the hell is that early retirement? Lol. I bet you didn't even think about that before you typed it.

2.) How is it that we have more problems to worry about when our band has already had everything your BD has been begging for? Lol. Get real dude. Our only problem is that alum from your broke arse school that doesn't know how to run our band. But that's going to be fixed real soon. Wait on it lol.

3.) No need to take it out on us because you're mad at the fact that Basebone is right about your band. Thats the funniest, weakest SU ish ever lmao.

Dude, yall SUCKED at the BOTB lol. People said our BOTB with PV was better and Gram ran through yall sorry, out of tune band. The Whiteducks especially. Them dudes sound like hurt geese. How the hell you on a basshorn and sound thin playing high and low?

Where's that SU dude that said there's a difference between loud and powerful? I wonder if he knew the difference when SU played at that BOTB with those horrible arrangements lmao. Funny how shit turn back on that ass.

Thank you because they be real quick to jump down our throats, this has nothing to do with JSU. Every Swac School hates on us because they hate to see us succed.

Man that dude is a joke lol. He ain't have shit to say to the dude from Gram but wana turn on us JSU folk jus cuz we laugh? Shows how weak and immature they are when they can't take heat lol. Dude jus hurt his band wasn't up to par like he thought it would be and everybody caught it lol. Not our fault. They had so much to say about JSU they didn't see their own band failing them before their eyes.

Specifically, what are you referring to? The band has a Facebook page to keep alumni and supporters in the know. What else does SU do? Is it because they have the highest views on social media? Celeb shot outs? National media outlets? What is it does SU do? I personally love it when all bands share their accomplishments.
Never mind. All bands work hard to achieve and have already achieved many of the accomplishments that SU has recently attained (new drum heads, sponsorship's, etc.). And SU's choice of keeping alumni abreast of what is happening is done with all bands, we just dont have to post it on every site. Also, celebrity shout outs mean nothing lol

All the best.

You are the one who should sit down and STFU! You are embarrassing Southern University posting this garbage. I just read this ignorance to a former SU sousaphone section leader/current high school band director this BS that you have posted. Of course he laughed and ask me why am I wasting my typing.

I give Haymer props for finally bringing some national attention to SU, but folks like you are acting like you never been anywhere in your life. Who in the F are you to tell anyone how hard their band works? Do you know anything until about GSU's or JSU's band budget? Do you know how many kids from those schools are on scholarship?

The answer is you don't know __t! Just because SU is finally doing new things doesn't mean everyone has been sitting on their_sses.

What some of you SU folks have become since the Greggs days are shameful. At least SU use to have some type of class.

that beautiful song.

You are wasting your time talking about arrangements to this type of SU person. He is brainwashed to believe that everything Knighten or any other SU writer has put in front of the band is greater than anything in the world.

SU was fucking horrible!!!

Also to the MEAC guy who was asking about the jump suits. Those wore jogging suits that resembled our uniforms. Innovative if you ask me.

One thing GSU has is class. Dr. Parnell leads with a religious song and he stated he would do so the week prior while speaking at our church's men's day celebration. At that he stated he wished that we would sing wait in the water but said he would carry that feeling to the battle of the bands.

One thing I noticed about SU's uniforms during the parade was that they looked dingy and dirty. Those kids deserve better at SU. SU when Dr. Greggs was there was a favorite of mine.

Back