Mississippi IHL versus Dan Jones (Talks of Each University Having A Board Of Trustees)

I'm not for each school having their own governing board. IHL doesn't always get it right, but I see the problems and lack of stability at some of our neighboring schools. And it gives me pause.

Looking at the uproar over Jones, maybe Christopher Brown at Alcorn should've have let the board fire him instead of resigning.

Looking at the uproar over Jones, maybe Christopher Brown at Alcorn should've have let the board fire him instead of resigning.
Na, Chris did the right thing and got out of town. I am sure it would have gotten uglier and he would have really been in court as a defendant.

Seperate boards will be a nightmare. Each will act differently, and there will be jealously as well as downright blatant kiss-my-ass-ness when someone wants to do something that another school can't afford to do. It will be a clusterfuck of the highest order. These white folks ain't gonna act right.

So we should just continue to let the board continue to do stuff like this (and the SWAC schools get the very small short end of the stick)

College Board stands behind move to fire Ole Miss chancellor -- but looks like he'll be back.

UMMC has a budget of $1.6 billion this year, about 38 percent of the entire budget of $4.2 billion for all eight universities, and Perry said trustees wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t “exercise our appropriate control over their financial transactions.”

A review completed in September by the Ridgeland-based accounting firm of Matthews, Cutrer and Lindsay found numerous violations of College Board policy. All contracts over $100,000 are to be voted on by the board, as well as most leases. In at least six cases, UMMC sought retroactive approval for contracts and leases. But in more than 60 other cases, no approval was ever sought, the firm said. In other cases, contracts had no spending limits or completion dates, or showed that UMMC spent more than the amount negotiated by itself or the state’s Department of Information Technology Services.

Back